Sumary of Nigel Slater’s recipes for plum and rosemary cake, and baked aubergines:
- I made jam this week, lightly set like those of the Middle East, simmering the plums and sugar gently to keep the fruit in large, juicy pieces.
- The sort of jam to eat with a spoon and yoghurt rather than to spread on your toast.
- Serves 8butter 150ggolden caster sugar 150g, plus a little extraeggs 3plain flour 110gbaking powder 1½ tspground almonds 75gplums 400gflaked almonds 2 tbsprosemary 6 short, bushy sprigsYou will need a deep, round cake tin with a removable base, 20cm in diameter.
- Using an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- ) Break the eggs into a small basin and whisk briefly with a fork to mix yolks and whites, then slowly add to the butter and sugar, beating constantly.
- (Should the mixture curdle, then add a spoonful of the flour.