Sumary of Rice cakes, cheesy crepes and jammy cookies: Ottolenghi’s recipes for cooking with kids:
- Tip the rice into a sieve, run under the cold tap until the water runs clear, then put in a small saucepan with 240ml water and a half-teaspoon of salt..
- Put all the dip ingredients into a small saucepan, whisk to make sure the cornflour gets incorporated with the liquids, then cook on a medium-high heat for three minutes, until the mixture thickens slightly and takes on a glossy sheen..
- Spread the rice evenly over a medium-sized tray, drizzle over the sesame oil, scatter with the chives and mix gently with a fork..
- Put one ball of the mozzarella mixture on the rice and gather up the sides to make a ball, wetting your hands as you go, so the cheese mixture is totally encased by the rice..
- Put the olive olive oil in a large frying pan on a medium-high heat and, once it hot, fry the rice cakes in batches for three minutes on each side, until the sesame seeds are golden..
- Put all the ingredients for the bechamel except the cheese in a small saucepan, bring up to a simmer on a medium heat and cook, whisking constantly, for about two or three minutes, until thickened and smooth..
- Take off the heat, add 50g of the grated cheese, a quarter-teaspoon of salt and a good grind of black pepper, and whisk until smooth..
- Scatter about 30g of the chicken, beef or ham over the bottom quarter of each crepe, and top that with a teaspoon or so of spring onion and half a tablespoon of grated cheese….