Sumary of Spice up your life: Thomasina Miers’ recipes for chilli jar gifts | The new flexitarian:
- For food, think luxurious treats such as cheese, chocolate or olive oil, or heartfelt, homemade delicacies.
- This trio of chilli treats should delight any foodie and be pleasing to make – just don’t forget the packaging!
- Ancho relishA deeply flavoured, rich chilli relish that is delicious drizzled over grilled vegetables, lamb chops, slow-cooked chillies or tacos.
- Prep 15 minMacerate 1 weekMakes 1-2 small jars8 ancho chillies, stems and seeds discarded6 baby shallots, peeled and finely chopped5 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped150ml good-quality red-wine vinegar300ml extra-virgin olive oilPut the ancho chillies in a food processor and blitz to the size of small confetti.
- Chinese chilli oilPrep 10 minCook 5 minMakes 2 jars or bottles2 tbsp chilli flakes5 star anise1 cinnamon stick2 tbsp sichuan peppercorns3 bay leaves600ml peanut oil3 tbsp sesame oilPut the chillies, spices and bay in a heatproof bowl.
- Pour the peanut oil into a heavy-based pan and, heat until it just begins to smoke (keep your eye on it so it doesn’t burn), then turn down the heat slightly and leave it for a further 20 seconds.