Sumary of Summer pickles and cheese sandwiches | Nigel Slater:
- The pickles – carrot, cucumber, radish, maybe some strips of cabbage – but also the pickle juice itself, the astringent potion of vinegar and spice..
- (We are not talking long-term storage here.) You can use allspice instead of juniper, mustard seeds in place of coriander, and lead the pickling liquor in whatever direction you choose – east (star anise and clove), south (chillies and garlic) or north (juniper and dill)..
- I like to spoon it over the blackened skin of a grilled mackerel fillet – the crisp, smoky skin with the vinegar is sensational;.
- fold the pickles and juice into a salad of artichoke bottoms, parsley and watercress or tuck it untidily between the layers of a toasted sandwich..
- For the pickle:white wine vinegar 6 tbspcider vinegar 6 tbspmalt vinegar 5 tbspfennel seeds 2 tspblack peppercorns 15juniper berries 8caster sugar 1 tspsalt 1 tsp Peel the cucumber, then slice it in half lengthways..
- It also makes the surface brown more quickly, so it is worth keeping a sharp eye on the bread progress as it cooks..
- Makes 2 sandwiches fontina 150gbutter 40gsummer vegetable pickle 4 tbsp (see recipe above)sourdough bread 4 slicesdijon mustard 1 tsp Coarsely grate the fontina..
- Drain the pickle, then spoon it on top of the cheese, place the reserved pieces of bread on top and press down firmly….