Sumary of Terri Mercieca’s recipes for vanilla ice-cream parfait sandwich and sundae:
- Prep 25 minCook 20 minMakes 1 x 20cm square tin110g coconut shavings125g egg whites (reserved from the vanilla parfait above)40g golden caster sugar125g golden icing sugar1 big pinch (1g) sea salt – I use Maldon¾ tsp (5g) freeze-dried passion fruit, ground fine (optional)Lightly toast the coconut shavings, then leave to cool.
- Meanwhile, make a French meringue: in a very clean, stainless-steel bowl, whisk the egg whites until they start to get a little foamy, then slowly whisk in the caster sugar a little at a time.
- Heat the oven to 170C (150C fan)/325F/gas 3. Blend the coconut with the icing sugar.
- Remove and dust generously with ground freeze-dried passion fruit, if using (you could also use freeze-dried raspberry, strawberry or whatever you fancy), and leave to cool to room temperature.
- Passion fruit curdCurd is dreamy, so maybe double the recipe and save some for brekkie.
- Prep 15 minCooks 20 minMakes 400g100g passion fruit juice (or lime juice)25g lemon juice50g whole egg60g egg yolk70g sugar5g cornflour50g salted butter, dicedIn a small saucepan, bring the passion fruit and lemon juice to a boil.