Sumary of 10 easy walks in Britain for families with younger children:
- Further fascinating remnants of the hill long history of human activity include bronze age barrows and the ruins of an early 20th-century tower..
- Fyne Court (National Trust, free entry, no booking required) with its wild, rambling grounds and cafe, is a mile away..
- Zana Benson Distance 3.1 milesStart/finish Fitzalan Pool car park, Queen Street, Arundel (500 metres from Arundel railway station)How to get there By car, from the A27 follow signs for Arundel Castle..
- Return alongside the road below the towers and turrets of Arundel Castle, the oldest part of which – the motte, a grassy artificial mound – dates to 1068..
- Turn left then left again, descending steeply to the right of the white horse, first carved here in the bronze age..
- Zana Benson Distance 2.8 milesStart/finish Wicken Fen National Trust car parkHow to get there By car, 17 miles north-east of Cambridge, off A1123..
- By bike on NCN route 11 This walk follows the waymarked Adventurers’ Trail at Wicken Fen, the National Trust oldest nature reserve..
- Caer Caradoc – Welsh for Caradog fort – rises from the narrow valley of Stretton Gap, the hill fort at its summit dating to the iron or late bronze age….