Sumary of 10 of the best independent record shops in London:
- The past 14 months have been brutal for all retailers, but independent record shops have had it tougher than most..
- Has Discogs – the huge US record resale website – siphoned off those who used to love digging through crates of LPs and boxes of 45s?.
- Neither Camden Town All Ages – London last punk rock record shop – nor longstanding Black music vendor Maestro Records in Peckham has an online presence..
- With no clubs open, dance music shops like Soho Phonica and Brixton Container Records have found a void of sorts to fill..
- If Music (Soho), Matters Of Vinyl Importance (Shoreditch) and Low Company (Hackney Wick) have all closed in the past year..
- I started researching my book, London Record Shops, before anyone had heard of Covid-19, when the vinyl revival ensured record shops were a place to congregate and source great music..
- But it tough out there – if you value independent traders then get out there and support your local record shop(s)!.
- Reckless Records, Soho Reckless Records manager Duncan Kerr Opened in 1984, Reckless Records is the oldest record shop in Soho and one of only two now trading on Berwick Street (once Europe foremost record shop haven)….