Sumary of 10 of the best Scottish island escapes:
- Other beachcombing spots include Cula Bay on Benbecula – a haven for wading birds such as oystercatchers, lapwings, snipes and ring plovers – and Balranald, with its RSPB reserve.
- Photograph: Alex MacleodVanessa Branson’s private island retreat in Loch Moidart off the west coast includes nine cute cottages (three gas-lit and off-grid, all with firepits) and the nine-bedroom house.
- Eigg Electric supplies the island from the world’s first fully renewably powered electricity grid.
- Sleep 4, from £50 a night (£80 in high season), ionapods.com, little availability until mid-SeptemberThe Storehouse, Kirkwall, OrkneyThe Storehouse in Kirkwall, restored with the wood and stone from the original 19th-century buildingHeritage and history seep into every aspect of an Orcadian itinerary, the archipelago off Scotland’s north-east coast, with its 5,000-year-old Neolithic world heritage sites, including Skara Brae.
- Orcadian knitwear designer Judith Glue and her husband, David Spence, restored the Storehouse, a 19th-century building that was once a pork and herring curing station, then a printworks, converting it into a smart restaurant with rooms in 2018.Much of the original wood and stone was rescued and reused and the huge wooden beams in the bar and first-floor bedrooms were salvaged from ship wrecks.In the restaurant, chef Gayle Grieve dishes up local specialities such as hand-dived scallops – caught by her husband, Emlyn.