Sumary of A divorced New York dad promised his son they'd live in a castle one day — so he built 3, and now anyone can visit:
- Within the estate are three mini castles, built by John Lavender II, 67, who told Insider he bought the land back in 1982.For decades, all three were kept as a private residence for Lavender, his son Jason, and his wife Yvonne, but since 2010 they have welcomed guests in their “magical” castles with picturesque views of Lake George.
- Lavender told Insider that five years before he bought the estate, he promised his son Jason he’d build him a castle.
- Lavender and his son Jason pictured in 1983, a year after he bought the land.
- Courtesy of Highlands Castle Lavender, who was born in Troy, New York, said he was newly divorced at the time and living in a share-house with five other guys in Clifton Park, New York.
- “It wasn’t an environment to raise a three-year-old,” Lavender told Insider.
- Lavender fulfilled his promise, going even further by designing and building three mini castles largely by himself.