Sumary of All Those Business Travel Chickens That Airlines Were Counting? They Aren’t Hatching; Undercutting Forecasts:
- Business Class seats like these aboard an American Airlines plane in Miami, are still going largely .
- [+] unsold, along with a lot of coach seats that airlines were expecting to be filled this fall by business travelers.
- Thanks to the unexpected jump in Covid-19 cases driven by the arrival of the so-called Delta variant of the virus leisure travel demand began softening a bit in late July, and then by more than a bit throughout August.
- Worse, by mid-August most airlines also began worrying quietly – and more recently not-so-quietly – about the failure of the almost-certain jump in business travel demand to materialize.
- Indeed, some are now actually beginning to contemplate whether business travel demand will ever fully recover to the demand levels that existed through 2019. The American Hotel &
- Lodging Association recently surveyed corporations and individual business travelers around the U.S. and learned that 67% of them now expect to take fewer trips going forward.