Sumary of An active family holiday in Scotland: Day 2:
- In recent years the water quality hadn’t been rated so highly in parts of southern Scotland but, thanks to efforts from the Scottish Environment Protection Agency (SEPA), this year it is much improved, with Mossyard rated ‘Good’.
- Kirroughtree Forest is one of Scotland’s world-class 7stanes mountain bike venues.
- All seven stanes (or stones – each site has a landmark sculpture at a prominent location along the trails) span southern Scotland, from the heart of the Scottish Borders to Dumfries and Galloway, and offer a variety of graded trails.
- The highlight of the mountain biking at Kirroughtree is McMoab, which consists of huge slabs and ridges of exposed granite linked by boulder causeways.
- There is a bike shop on site (don’t expect this at each of the 7stanes) and we found the staff very accommodating when we realised the gears on one of our bikes needed re-indexing.