Sumary of Bodmin Jail Hotel: Cornwall’s Oldest And Newest Hotel Takes You To The Heart Of Dark Tourism:
- Masterplanners – faced a series of construction ‘conundrums’ in order to convert what was once a forbidding building into a warm and welcoming one.
- (Credit: Matthew Shaw) MORE FOR YOU As a preserved Grade II-listed building, the cells may have been given a swish makeover, but the heritage of the building is very much in place.
- So-called ‘Dark Tourism’ is big business, with many interested in the past lives of those that lived and died in historic buildings.
- Contemporary spotlights highlight the rough-hewn aspect of the raw walls, while beds have smart forest-green leather headboards and crisp white linens.
- The lofty space plays on the dark history of the building, with black-studded booths and deep purple walls.
- For something more casual, the Jolly Hangman Tavern offers fresh pasta, stone-baked pizzas and ‘incarcerated’ burgers and is a great pitstop if you are staying with kids or don’t feel like a formal dining experience.