Prime Minister Boris Johnson set out May 17 as the earliest date international travel could resume. Yet, when speaking during an address to the nation on Monday, Mr Johnson showed some caution.
Since then, however, the PM has said he has “not given up” on his initial roadmap plans.
“We have to be realistic… we can’t do it immediately,” he told reporters at a press conference.
“A lot of the destinations that we want to go to at the moment are suffering a new wave of the illness, of COVID, as we know. We can’t do it immediately.
“But that doesn’t mean that we’ve given up on May 17.
READ MORE: Calder reveals places most likely to be on UK travel green list
However, authorities are now looking into the possibility of low-cost lateral flow tests, in a bid to make holidays accessible to more people.
It comes after easyJet CEO Johan Lungren expressed concerns the Government’s testing for travel plans would make holidays out of reach for the average tourist.
Speaking previously during a live webinar as part of Aviation Week, Mr Lundgren said: “One should not underestimate the difficulties that I think testing provides for people from a cost perspective…