Sumary of Camping holidays: Devon to ban camping after ‘antisocial behaviour’ -‘blighted by rubbish’:
- The protected moorland in Devon is known for stunning scenery with plenty of unique wildlife including wild ponies, otters and bat species.
- Dartmoor national park is popular with hikers, mountain bikers and families as it offers many activities.
- At present, Dartmoor is the only national park to allow visitors to take part in “backpack camping”.
- Backpack or wild camping is where visitors carry their camping equipment on their back and stay for up to two nights.
- Wild camping is only allowed if the camper can carry everything they need in their backpack and uses very small tents that blend into the landscape.
- Staycationers are allowed to wild camp on designated areas of Dartmoor, in isolated spots away from roads and people.