Sumary of Can Hydrogen Save Aviation’s Fuel Challenges? It’s Got a Way to Go.:
- Some companies, like Neste, use hydrogen in refining its SAF fuel.
- But SAF may be seen as a stopgap, as larger planes have flown happily burning emissions-free pure hydrogen.
- In 1957, a Martin B-57B powered part of a flight using hydrogen as fuel.
- In 1988, a Soviet TU-155 airliner flew on hydrogen fuel alone.
- “Once again we’ve missed the boat,” he said, “and we can only hope that the next administration will be more interested in hydrogen than this one has been.
- ”Any mention of hydrogen aircraft means addressing the zeppelin in the room.