Sumary of China launches world’s fastest train:
- China has launched what’s believed to be the fastest ground vehicle in the world – a bullet train capable of hitting speeds of 600km/h, which could travel between cities faster than flight.
- The vehicle was developed by China and built in the coastal city of Qingdao, with its launch announced by Chinese state media on Tuesday.
- While trains on the Beijing-Shanghai line currently have a maximum operating speed of 350km/h, a high-speed maglev running at 600km/h could narrow the gap between high-speed rail and commercial aircraft, which typically cruise at 900km/h.
- Liang Jianying, deputy general manager and chief engineer of the state-owned China Railway Rolling Stock Corporation, which developed the train, said it also emitted lower levels of noise pollution and required less maintenance than other high-speed trains.
- There are no intercity or inter-province lines in China yet, but cities are doing research into how to take advantage of the high-speed possibilities.
- Using magnets to reach super speedsMaglev trains float on a magnetically powered cushion of air instead of using wheels on a track, which reduces friction and allows the craft to reach incredibly fast speeds.