Sumary of Crash Stats: Traffic Deaths Spiked In Early 2021:
- MediaNews Group via Getty Images An estimated 8,730 people died in motor vehicle traffic crashes in the first three months of 2021, a 10.5% jump from fatalities projected for the same time last year.
- Those are the highlights of “Early Estimate of Motor Vehicle Traffic Fatalities for the First Quarter of 2021” released on Tuesday by the U.S. Department of Transportation’s National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).
- “We must address the tragic loss of life we saw on the roads in 2020 by taking a transformational and collaborative approach to safety.
- Everyone – including those who design, operate, build and use the road system – shares responsibility for road safety,” Steven Cliff, NHTSA’s acting administrator, said in a statement.
- “We are working closely with our safety partners to address risky driving behaviors such as speeding, impaired driving, and failing to buckle up.
- ” The federal agency also released the newest edition of Countermeasures That Work (including a two-page summary of the most recent additions), designed to help road safety professionals and local communities evaluate troublesome trends and learn about and implement effective ways to address them.