Sumary of Getting away from it all: Orkney island hopping:
- The sky luminescent, opalescent – as if inlaid with mother of pearl – and the red sandstone cliffs set aglow like the embers of an enormous fire..
- Now, with domestic travel opening up, the Orkney Islands are available to other Britons seeking adventure, without taking a risk on the ever-shifting red-amber-green lists..
- a low-altitude journey with million-dollar views, as the little propeller plane skips from island to island, dropping off post and picking up passengers..
- We struggled through hail across a gleaming beach, past a dozen basking, brindled seals, to an iron age broch standing sentry on a rocky headland, and stared out across the waves..
- David Chapman/Alamy But if one is going to island-hop by plane, however, the highlight must surely be the world shortest scheduled passenger flight, between the islands of Westray and Papa Westray…