Sumary of Here’s What To Do If You Test Positive For Covid-19 While Traveling Outside The U.S.:
- Testing positive before the return flight home — an occurrence that is becoming more and more common among international travelers — will not only delay your return but it will add significantly to your costs.
- Your U.S.-based health insurance plan is unlikely to cover medical expenses abroad and you will have to rely on resources in your destination.
- This is why it is so important to buy pandemic-specific travel insurance before you leave home — and why some countries require foreign tourists to carry it.
- It’s also why unvaccinated Americans should strongly reconsider traveling outside the U.S., given that the risk of getting seriously ill from Covid-19 is so much greater.
- The CDC recommends avoiding international travel until you are fully vaccinated.
- Covid-19 Resources for International Travel Before any international trip, consult the U.S. State Department’s Covid-related page for your destination.