Sumary of I will walk 500 miles … on an art trail along Essex’s lost coast:
- At Walton on the Essex coast a group of ragged people with empty, staring eyes are standing just above the tide line, their feet tangled in seaweed.
- Future prophecy or simply a commemoration of the drowned village nine miles offshore, Nabil Ali’s powerful The Sea People sculpture greets us as we walk around this fascinating headland.
- Beach of Dreams, this curious and idiosyncratic arts project we’re on, is perfect for our timesPeople are joining us for a few miles, sometimes a whole day or more, others just attach themselves, but they all want to talk and hear each other’s stories.
- )On the outskirts, Marion, a walker from Suffolk, asks local hikers where the site of Warners Dovercourt Holiday Camp was.
- The camp reverted to a holiday resort after the war, where, as a teenager in the early 1970s, she had a Saturday job.
- ” She laughs, “I’m afraid it was Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep by Middle of the Road.