Sumary of New Falklands port gets green light to proceed as part of ambitious infrastructure investment program:
- New Falklands port gets green light to proceed as part of ambitious infrastructure investment program Wednesday, September 15th 2021 – 07:31 UTC Full article The projected new port that will replace FIPASS, moves to Stage One B, Detailed Design, to take place over the next 13 months.
- Examples of other investments in vital community facilities and assets include the progress being made with new sports facilities;
- It is expected that construction will begin on the project in early 2022. Housing construction contract negotiations are also nearing completion and it is anticipated that works will commence on site, in Bennett’s Paddock, before the end of the year.
- Deputy Portfolio Lead for Development and Commercial Services, MLA Mark Pollard, said: “The approval to proceed to the next stage of the port programme is another step towards delivering on the commitment we made in The Islands Plan, to ensure the development of a port facility that supports industry.
- Investment in the project and this agreement to proceed through to Detailed Design also reflects the significance of the Falkland Islands as a key gateway to Antarctica and the South Atlantic;