Sumary of The EU is planning a 9-month expiration date on its Covid vaccine passports:
- QR code with EU COVID digital certificate displayed on a mobile phone.
- NurPhoto | NurPhoto | Getty ImagesThe European Union is considering a nine-month expiration date on its Covid-19 vaccine certificates, which allow tourists certain freedoms to travel while the coronavirus pandemic still rages.
- The European Commission, the executive arm of the EU, proposed Thursday that the EU Digital Covid Certificate should be updated.
- “Various European nations are facing a high number of Covid infections, notably in the countries where the vaccination rate remains low.
- Thursday’s announcement comes as the World Health Organization warned earlier this week that the number of deaths from Covid in the region could exceed 2 million by March.