Sumary of U.S. air travel reaches pandemic high as peak season kicks off:
- Travelers wait in line at a Transportation Security Administration (TSA) screening checkpoint at Orlando International Airport on the Friday before Memorial Day..
- Air traveler volumes hit the highest levels since before the coronavirus pandemic began during Memorial Day weekend, the latest sign of recovery for the sector..
- The Transportation Security Administration screened an average of 1.78 million people from Friday through Monday, hitting a peak of 1.96 million on Friday..
- Those volumes are more than six times higher than a year ago, but still 22% below Memorial Day weekend in 2019..
- The surge in travelers is pushing up the price of vacations, including airfare, hotel rates and car rental prices….